Monday, January 26, 2009

Defiance



I had a wonderful opportunity this past weekend to attend a special screening of the movie "Defiance." It turns out my friend David's grandfather was actually a member of the partisan group led by the Bielski brothers, and is recognizable in the most famous picture taken of that group. His mother was able to share first-hand recollections from her father, and I found it fascinating. Though I'm sure the movie took a lot of artistic license, it was still very enlightening and sad to see how these people fought for the lives in the forests. As I understand it, this was the only one of many partisan groups to allow women and children to join them and the lives they saved numbered over one thousand. As a history major, I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of them before but I loved hearing the story and I think the movie was pretty darn good. Sure, it dragged in parts and they might have overdone the tension between the brothers, but it was touching to see the fight in these people that were hunted like animals based on one man's distorted view of humanity. I would definitely recommend this movie, and as much as I loathe Tom Cruise I'm even toying with watching "Valkyrie" now. That time period intrigues me and I find my faith in humanity somewhat restored when I see real-life stories of people standing up against pure evil for what they believe is right. I am also reminded that I don't watch enough Liev Schreiber movies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment