As any readers know by now, Valentine's is my favorite holiday. I understand that it is not everybody's favorite holiday, but I do take much issue with people who say it's not a real holiday. It is a real holiday, and sure, Hallmark and florists and chocolatiers profit mightily, but retail profits much more at Halloween and no one calls that a made-up holiday. Even if it was made up by retailers, are we so cynical and bitter that we don't want to celebrate love, even if we do not have a romantic love each year? But I digress...
Every year, I try to make it low-stress for Anthony. I want flowers and a romantic meal with him. That's it. No presents, no pricey meal we have to share with a thousand other couples. We tend to eat in, making the same meal we ate when Anthony proposed 5 Valentine's ago, and normally top it off with a chick flick.
But this year, we had the weekend before free and there were some things we had been looking to do, so we made a day or two of it. First on our agenda was some outlet shopping...I had some gift money burning a hole in my pocket and I was anxious to buy a Burberry handbag! Fittingly, I found a classic plaid one with faint hearts and red details - perfect for the holiday at hand.
We had also wanted to try a new interactive puzzle/ game/ adventure thing called Espionage. You and several other people embark with a tour guide on a top-secret mission to find a mole in your organization. You work together to sniff out clues, solve puzzles, and escape death! We have done something like this called The Tomb twice before, and enjoyed it whether by ourselves or with friends. They are a tad cheesy, but it's still a good time. You move from room to room, each holding a challenge. The last room is the one where death is upon you and it's you against the clock! Espionage contained a bugged room, a laser room, a missile storage room, and finally a bomb room!
After all that excitement, we polished Day 1 off with a trip to Olive Garden. Though that might not seem special or romantic to most, there are no OG's near us so we haven't been in years!
There were also some Natalie Portman flicks out that weekend that we were anxious to see, so we splurged on a double feature (with snacks, gasp!!) the following day.
When Monday was upon us, Anthony hand-delivered flowers to my office. My bestie Bri also sent me flowers on account of it being my favorite holiday and her being thoughtful that way. :) We also normally do lunch with my parents at the place where Anthony asked for my dad's blessing on 2/12/07, but unfortunately they were sick and it has been indefinitely postponed.
All in all, a perfectly wonderful and jam-packed weekend with my love! I hope everyone else was also able to celebrate all the loves in their lives - significant others, friends, family, nieces, nephews, pets, whatever! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment