Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy 4th!

I know this is late, but I just wanted to rehash the patriotic holiday. Anthony and I did not go into Boston to see the fireworks and be with other countrymen, sadly. We did catch some great town shows from our attic window, and I might have made Anthony watch The Capitol Fourth and The Boston Pops Show with me. There is something so stirring, so moving about seeing all those people celebrating the birth of this great nation. In a time when we are all so divided on so many issues, and it seems this country is certainly headed nowhere good, it is nice to remember that we are united in our love for freedom.

However, because of the current state and our direction towards a godless (and good-less) society, this show was bittersweet. These people stand behind our troops now and sing with abandon about how lucky they are to be born in America, but these same people are indirectly contributing to the downfall of our nation, as most of us are. Either we are in favor of the direction we're headed, or we're good people standing by doing nothing. I am in fear for our nation and the level of selfishness and short-sightedness that is so rampant today. I fear we as a nation want so badly to remove God from our politics, our schools, our daily lives...How long before God grants that wish and we are irreversibly set on a path that leads to destruction?

I heard this quote many years ago and it really illustrates how I see America today: America is great because it is good. When America ceases to be good, it will cease to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment