Today marks 3 years that I have been wed to Anthony, 4 that I have known him. Not a significant milestone, but a milestone all the same. Growing up in a military environment means you're not used to long-term relationships - most people move in and out of your life in increments no longer than three years. Because of that, I find myself growing bored with most of my friends after a couple years and I confess I had a small fear of that with marriage. I am happy to report (though would I say otherwise on a public forum?! :) ) that I am not even a little bored with him. Not even a little.
On Mondays, after being able to be with him all weekend, I always miss him that much more. On evenings where we have separate plans, I can't wait to get home to him and catch up on his day. At social events, I enjoy mingling and talking to others, but everything is sweeter with him by my side. He makes me feel more confident, more sure of myself, more loved. Which is not to say I don't endorse separate hobbies or doing activities without each other; I firmly believe that I appreciate him more after being apart for a time. But he is still the love of my life, my favorite part of every day. My life is better when he's around.
All the quirks that I was scared would get old are still endearing, and I still think he's one of the funniest and smartest people I know. I am still amazed at his culinary creations, and always in awe of what he does around the house. There is nothing I enjoy more than bragging about him. I always get the best deals, have the most sophisticated home technology, and (perhaps most importantly) can still count on coming home to a clean and orderly home when he's left to his own devices. :)
The best part of me feeling this way, though, is that I know Anthony feels the same too. Last night, as I was being ridiculous and silly, he still found me adorable and that does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. He still laughs at my jokes, he still looks at me like I'm the most beautiful girl in the world, and he still loves having me as a part of his life. He still wants to share his day with me, tell me all about his latest video game addiction, still wants to snuggle on dreary days. I can honestly say I have no idea what he loves so much about me, or why he loves me so dearly. But I can also honestly say that I have absolute faith in his love for me. When we're fighting and yelling horrible things at each other, it *never* crosses my mind that he'd leave me. Never. I used to think that was arrogance, but now I just know it is the sweet certainty of pledging our lives to each other. There is just a trust that is never mentioned; it just is. And knowing that makes me fight nicer, not worse, because when someone trusts you with their heart, it brings with it a humble acknowledgment that you don't deserve it and should work that much harder to try. I have never experienced that pure trust with anyone else, and I still am amazed by such a perfect trust in such imperfect people.
Perhaps those who have been married longer are laughing to themselves and saying, "Oh, of course! You're still a newlywed, no doubt you still gush about him." And maybe that's true, maybe this intensity will fade with time. But sitting here in my young naivety, I do actually feel confident that I will feel this way no matter how many years have gone by. I can still say with absolute certainty that he was and still is The One for me, that we were led together by God's own hands. And I can't wait to see where life takes us together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think you'll find that your marriage will be what you make of it. I was always afraid that one day we would fall out of love. After all, how many friends and family members do we see that have failed marriage or are in miserable marriages... but I can say that after 11 years of marriage, I still feel the same way about Jeff the way I felt when we first were married. I don't think we are special, but just that our love is true and geniune and we both take our commitment seriously. Happy Anniversary to the both of you and it sounds like you guys will have many many years of being HAPPILY married! :)
ReplyDelete