Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finland!

Though business trips used to be new and exciting back in the day, a little of the thrill has since worn off for both Anthony and I.  His boss, however, is trying to make a deal with a major phone company's headquarters in Finland and needed someone with a little more day-to-day programming expertise.  So Anthony got dragged along.  He was less than excited to go to Finland, and to go so soon before Christmas, and to go directly after 2 other out-of-town weekends.  But off he went, prepared for the cold and mildly excited about some traditional Finnish food.  He left Sunday night and will return tomorrow night, so it wasn't too bad of a trip.  But all the same, that is the longest we've been apart since we've been married and we were both dreading it for a variety of reasons.

I was slightly apprehensive about being alone in a big new house with the darkness and normal settling-house creaks, but I have to say I've handled it better than I thought.  I did invite my mom over for Sunday and Monday night and we baked and decorated and created a gingerbread house.  Then Tuesday I invited some friends over to stave off the loneliness, and I had a lot of fun, though I think it made me miss Anthony more just because he's a lot of fun and I missed him cracking all his jokes.  Tonight I'll be completely alone for both the evening and overnight part, but I haven't gotten scared yet so I think I'll be fine.
 
I had such big plans to bake a lot of Christmas cookies and get my Christmas letters out the door and do all my wrapping, but none of that really happened.  I plan to be productive tonight to make up for some of that, but we'll see.  I might just sleep instead.  Though I have not been scared, it has been hard for me to fall asleep without another warm body in the bed.  You would think after 3 years of marriage, I'd be anxious for some alone time and a bed to myself, but that has not been the case even a little bit.  But I guess that's a good thing!

Anyway, that's my week without Anthony in a nutshell!  I can't wait until tomorrow night, but I think he might be too jet-lagged to do anything other than fall into bed as soon as he gets home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment