(I am not sure how I neglected to blog about this when it actually happened, but let me take you back to Tuesday, 11 January 2011...)
My mom's doctor happens to be in the area where I work, so we often get together for lunch after her appointments. She had asked on Monday if I was free to do lunch, and I readily agreed and offered to bring along my husband as well. She called when she was on her way, and I bounded out to the car unsuspectingly. Upon opening the door, I saw a carseat and was momentarily stunned. Then I saw the biggest, most curious little eyes peering up at me and my jaw dropped! Then I heard my brother laugh and looked up to see him in the backseat of my mom's van, with his gorgeous daughter and son in tow!!!!! They live on the opposite side of the country, so visits are few and far between. I had been lucky enough to make it out there to meet my 2 year old niece, but had not yet met my 9 month old nephew! I was beyond thrilled to see them, and the story came out that my sister-in-law had very generously loaned them to us for a week while she was working long year-end/ audit hours. Everyone had been in on the surprise, including my husband, and I could not have been happier!
I was so excited and could not get enough of holding my little niece and nephew! Both kids are very chill, very easy-going most of the time, so it was an absolute treat to get to hang with them for a week. Kaylen is much older than the last time I saw her, so it was so much fun to see her walking and talking and playing. She is very good at giving kisses when requested, and I'm sure I annoyed her with my constant asking. She is absolutely gorgeous, and I know I am not the only one that thinks so (she has been in more than one modeling campaign already!) Ryan was born prematurely last March, but he is definitely catching up it seems! His eyes seem even bigger than his sister's, and he was a very curious sort, always looking around and scootching about to see all the happenings. He is definitely as cute as his sister for sure, and I held him as often as I could! I went to my parents' house almost every day they were there that week, and I am so in love with them.
It does bear noting that I also loved seeing my brother. We were so close growing up, and the distance means I don't see him anywhere as often as I'd like. It was fun to catch up on what latest movies or games we enjoyed, and I even took him out with my crazy friends one night! It's so weird to see him as a daddy since I know he's barely older than I am, but he sure does love his kids and it was clear they loved him.
The one person missing from this story is my sister-in-law Sharon, who as I mentioned, lent us her family because she was working crazy hours and barely seeing them anyway. Though logically it makes sense, I'm sure it was hard for her to have a crazy/ busy/ non-relaxing day, then have to come home to an empty house without her loving husband and kids to greet her. So, for that sacrifice, we were very grateful. It was also sad because she was not able to visit as well, but her new job affords her very few vacation days and she used them giving birth to my perfect nephew. :/
Anyway, they are gone now and I sure do miss them. I was so glad to see them in this little window of their tiny lives, seeing them before they can fully walk and talk. I know they'll both be much bigger next time I see them, and I wish I could see them growing up, but I will gladly take what I can get!! My parents are the very cliched grandparents, doting on their every new skill and showering them with much love and attention and gifts! With grandkids as adorable as those though, I think we all turn into slightly obsessed relatives when they're around! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

See my Facebook page for pictures of Amanda with her niece and nephew.
ReplyDelete