Thursday, March 3, 2011

Loving the Unlovable

I think almost everyone I know struggles with this particular weakness in their lifetime.  It is relatively easy and well within our human nature to be nice and kind and generous and merciful and forgiving and patient to those people we like, people who are like us and who like us back.  But what about that coworker you cannot even bear to look at?  That friend's spouse that constantly does an Irish jig on your last nerve?  That family member you have absolutely nothing in common with?  That rude clerk or driver who seems intent on causing your head to explode in frustration?  We all have those people in our lives, and though I am very imperfect at reflecting God's light to those people, I know I should and I know I should try.

I have one friend who almost seems proud of her inability to not even pretend to be nice to people she does not respect.  I am always afraid to bring new friends around her, because should she decide she does not like them, it is a very miserable time in which she goes out of her way to be rude and obnoxious and confrontational.  And I confess, I judge her pretty harshly (albeit silently) for her inability to show love to anyone that does not love her.  However, I have a particularly hard time with one of my coworkers, and pretty unabashedly avoid eye contact and any kind of contact with her.  I may not be rude or mean to her face, but I think it and I talk about it behind her back, and the thought is just as sinful as the act itself.  I know I am very quick to become annoyed or insensitive around people I think do not deserve my kindness, and I know I need to be better at it.  However, I feel this is one of the more tolerated sins in our society and sometimes I fall prey to the thinking that says it doesn't really matter, you don't have to like *everyone* in the world.   But then I read today's entry from My Utmost for His Highest.  And I felt convicted all over again.  The whole entry can be found at http://www.myutmost.org/03/0303.html, but this part really drives it home (emphasis mine)...

"The love of God pays no attention to the distinctions made by natural individuality. If I love my Lord I have no business to be guided by natural temperament; I have to feed His sheep. There is no relief and no release from this commission. Beware of counterfeiting the love of God by working along the line of natural human sympathy, because that will end in blaspheming the love of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment