I am not normally as opposed to change as some
people are wont to be. However, I will say switching jobs is very very
painful for me. I really like to have a handle on what my job entails,
how to do it, and where/who to go when I encounter issues. I feel very
scared and insecure when I don’t, and I tend to take that fear home with
me on nights and weekends and it makes it very hard to relax. I
thought this job change would be slightly easier than some, because it
was a new position and I was taking on a mishmash of tasks from existing
employees, as opposed to replacing someone who was no longer there.
However in this case the first person I’ve been meeting with and
learning from is very much not a natural teacher. Adding to that issue
is that she’s a bit older, so any system change or excel troubleshooting
wildly throws her off, and they just started on a new system this
January that she is still coming up to speed on. She has also been at
this company for 13 years, so there are dozens of aspects about this
company that are so second nature to her that she does not thoroughly
explain. Where I sit is the headquarters for the world’s 2nd
largest staffing company, and I have never worked at a corporate level
before that is responsible for many other divisions / business units.
It is a huge company with a lot of moving parts that are completely
foreign to me, and this woman does not start with “this is the task
you’ll be responsible for and why, and here are all the pieces that go
into it.” It’s just “pull up this spreadsheet, enter this number here,
this number there” etc. without any slowing down to explain what the
endgame even is. She speaks very quickly, which is normally the way I
like it, but she never pauses to let me write anything down. I have
about 3 lines of notes on this two day project because I couldn’t take
my eyes off the screen! Making matters worse is that this woman is a
workaholic who stays late and comes in on weekends, so while learning
this task for the first time I was expected to stay late. Previously I
have just refused jobs that advertised monthly overtime, but this was
too good a role to pass up just for that.
Anyway,
that is a specific example but it really intimidated me my first couple
weeks here. With past jobs, just like past boyfriends, it is sometimes
very tempting to just want to go back to the familiar after trying
something new. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a
promotion, and a very good step for building corporate skills on my
resume. Apart from this being a solidly good opportunity, it also is a
horrible market out there and I know I need to be grateful for any job I
have, but especially one that really was a godsend. They gave me a
very good bump in pay, the commute is shorter, it’s a bigger (therefore
more social team), and I stand to learn a lot of good skills here.
The
overtime and planning my week nights around the close will definitely
be an adjustment for me, but my boss has hinted that I am a more
effective worker than the woman training me so hopefully my hours will
decrease once I learn my way around my duties. I am very sensitive to
having a work-life balance, and believe incredibly strongly that I spend
40 hours a week at work solely to pay my bills and all other time
belongs to my family and friends. I think life is way too short to
spend it in an office, and I simply don’t believe a department should be
short-staffed enough that they can’t close every month without severe
overtime. They do seem to be relatively amenable to comp time, and I
definitely will be using that as well as all my vacation time here. I
have a bad habit of leaving companies right when I get off the “beginner
plateau” of two weeks off, and I am definitely bummed it has happened
again. I often wonder if I would care so much about set work schedules
and vacation time if I loved what I do, but what can you do? J
I’m good at this job, and I’ve worked my way up so I think I’m past the
point where I would switch careers, provided of course I could even
figure out what I want to do with my life!!

This certainly seems to be a very big step. I admire the fact that you are stepping outside your comfort zone and allowing yourself to be challenged. I know you are capable of learning quickly. My prayer is that you will soon be at a place where you can enjoy going to work and feel a real sense of accomplishment in what you do.
ReplyDelete