
Last Monday night, I was slowly drifting off into slumber-land when my husband's iPhone buzzed with a text. I groggily asked what it was, and he sat up quickly saying, "Oh! I forgot to tell you. GC wants to know if we want his Sox tickets for Wednesday. I dunno..." Shocked into consciousness, I joined him in the sitting position and yelped at him for hesitating! I have wanted to go to a Sox game since we won the World Series in 2004; I only half-heartedly pursued getting tickets because it seemed to expensive or too hassle-y. But now that we had tickets and a firm date, I was ecstatic!! I forced my husby to call our friend back ASAP and get all up on it.
Come Wednesday, I donned the mandatory Red Sox tee and bundled up for the long night. Though it was raining and there was some chance of a postponement, we trekked into Boston anyway. We got there right before game time at 7, but happily they called a rain delay til later in the hour. We took that time to meander around and check out all the food and souvenir vendors and of course take some pics. Wally came out to pose with some big cheeses, but we never did get a shot of him and I guess he left for his second job because that was the last we saw of him. Super bummer, because I'm a huge fan.
Anyway, we were actually glad for the extra time so we were ready to focus when the first pitch went out. We got right into the thick of things, cheering and doing the wave and such. As Massachusetts common law dictates, we each got a Fenway Frank and a beer during the game and it was as good and as expensive as we had imagined. During the 7th inning stretch, we got up to get a sweet snack. I desperately wanted the cute helmet/ ice cream bowl, but not the $5 ice cream so I asked how much for just the helmet. Turns out the ice cream is apparently free, because the helmet was $5 regardless. *gasp* Slightly irritated, I opted for fresh-spun cotton candy and I can honestly say it was some of the best I ever had. I could actually taste the flavor, not just the sugar, but I did pay for it by staining my entire mouth bright pink for almost 20 hours. (My dentist made fun of me the next morning, but it was worth it.) If I had to choose, though, I would say my favorite part was screaming "Sweet Caroline" - the song is just so catchy and iconic and I was glad they posted the lyrics so everyone could join in.
On to the heart of the matter...we played a great game against the Minnesota Twins and ended up winning 7 to 3. I was thrilled to have gone to my first Red Sox game at Fenway and it was everything I thought it would be. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:
Post a Comment