Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remembrance

Allow me a moment on my soapbox...
Memorial Day is not just another three-day weekend to sleep in and get drunk. It is a day to remember all those men and women who *willingly* gave up their lives so that we could feel safe in our homes. When no threat is imminent, it is so easy to forget that our lives could be vastly different. But there are Americans who choose to risk their safety so that we can have ours. That is amazing to me! I am in awe of our soldiers for doing what I'm not sure I could. Just remember next time you get on a plane without thinking about it, or gather in a big city for a public celebration that you can do that because of the fallen and maimed. Though there are things about our country that may disgust you, remember that you choose to live here and be a citizen and participate in what it has to offer. Everything you love about your lives is possible because there are selfless Americans who understand that this country has paid and continues to pay a very steep price for our way of life. Please, please take a moment to think about those fighting at this very moment to protect the country you call home.

Whether you love him or hate him, Toby Keith sums this up better than I ever could...

"American Soldier"
I’m just trying to be a father, raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother, everything’ to everyone
Up and at ‘em bright and early, I’m all business in my suit
Yeah I’m dressed up for success, from my head down to my boots
I don’t do it for money, there’s bills that I can’t pay
I don’t do it for the glory, I just do it anyway
Providing for our future is my responsibility
Yeah, I’m real good under pressure, being all that I can be
And I can’t call in sick on Mondays when the weekend’s been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays, and sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready, when the wolf growls at the door
Hey I’m solid, hey I’m steady, hey I’m true down to the core
And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don’t want to die for you, but if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free

I’m an American Soldier, an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters, I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy, I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight
American Soldier, I’m an American Soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment