I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my life and where I am now, and how I got here. With this new house and new job, both of which I plan to be in for awhile, I feel like a new chapter of my life is starting - maybe the beginning of my adult life. I can't wait to see if this company is where I spend a majority of my career, or if I end up raising kids in the house we just bought. I'm in no hurry to speed up time though, so I know I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.
I am now working on year three of being married to my husband and it's been interesting to see our progression through the newlywed hurdles. I am still as in love with him as ever, and definitely believe without a doubt that he is the *only* one for me. I am starting to feel like an old married person though, as I watch younger friends still navigating the dating game. I see a lot of younger girls doing a lot of the same stupid stuff I did and said, and it's funny to just sit back and chuckle quietly, knowing they'll outgrow those tendencies soon. But it has brought to light how much I changed and grew up between my younger twenties and older twenties. I wonder if that is maybe the 5-ish year period in which I will change the most I've ever changed. I will hopefully continue to mature, but I feel like after 25 I started realistically evaluating how I am perceived by others and changed accordingly, whereas I feel I was still very much in my own head when I was younger.
I'm also struggling with regret. I have often heard it said that one should try to live a life free of regret, or that regret has no place inasmuch as we learn and grow from mistakes. However, there are a handful of things I would do anything to change. All I learned from those mistakes was that I shouldn't make them again, and I feel like I am (and was) smarter than that and shouldn't have been so stupid in the first place. I understand that regret only weights a person down and the past cannot be changed, however I feel as though my conscience dictates that I feel sorrow for hurting others with my mistakes. But when those regrets continually make you sad, at what point do you let yourself let go and move on? Especially when it is too late for apologies?
Anyway, those are some of the things I've been thinking about lately. The mistakes I made on my way here, and the tendencies that I've (finally) grown out of. Many people I know rave about their thirties because your path is more settled and you feel more comfortable with who you are, and I hope that's true. My twenties have gotten better with age, and I hope I can look forward to that continued trend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment