Not one day after I posted that our house had stayed miraculously dry through this wet winter/ spring...
I came downstairs after showering post-workout and the light happened to catch the baseboard by the front door just right. I noticed some discoloration and, upon further inspection, noticed the baseboard was separating from the wall and the flooring underneath was bowed. Those seemed to indicate water damage and though near the front door, not close enough for it to be obvious where it came from. There is nowhere for water to sit right outside that either, so our best guess is it's creeping in from the incorrectly-installed front door lights and puddling at the floor. Not major damage, granted, and our house is still under warranty with the builder, but a nuisance all the same.
Brushing that off for the time being, I hear my husband calling from the kitchen asking if I spilled something from the fridge. "Unlikely!" I called back but went to investigate the puddle he was standing over. I mentioned I had noticed some drips in front of the fridge before, but we've been having massive amounts of company and there is a water dispenser inside that I thought might be the culprit. We investigated the fridge, looked for signs of melted ice cubes from the freezer, but nothing. We glanced at the ceiling, and still nothing. Unsatisfied, my husband grabbed a ladder and poked around the recessed light directly above the puddle, and voila! The ceiling under the light frame was soaked through! This light sits directly under our master shower, and it can only be assumed that is the culprit.
Despite the late hour, we promptly left a message for the builder about the emergency. For once, he actually responded in a prompt manner and had the plumber out the next day. They could not recreate the leak in the shower, so they applied some more silicone and have asked us to test it/ watch for leaks now. Not very reassuring, but they claim if there was a broken pipe or drain or something more serious, we would have noticed it within days of using it, not a month.
As for the baseboard, he has to send about 3 different contractors out to research/ repair the matter, but he has been agreeable to fixing it promptly with no additional cost. Perhaps it helps we copied our attorney on the email, but happily we're satisfied with the outcome this time. Well, so far. This spring is shaping up to be a rainy one, with a few more days of it on the way.
He is also scheduled to come out and (finally) do our landscaping and finish our driveway/ walkway this week, so that should be nice. Can't wait to have grass and bushes instead of just a huge pile of mud!
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment