I have blogged about an actress friend of mine before, but here's a quick recap...this girl and I go way back to elementary school, and have stayed in touch over the years. She had a lucrative job in marketing, but always felt called to perform. She finally took a leap of faith, moved to LA, took acting classes, and currently goes on auditions. She is intent on staying true to her Christian beliefs, though she realizes that might cost her in that industry. In fact, she has already turned down a movie role that required her to do something she was not comfortable with. She has landed other small roles, but most recently was just offered a speaking role in a feature film!!! Unfortunately, the role requires her to join the Screen Actors Guild, but the dues are no chump change. Interestingly, she had just blogged about financial support for those going into strictly ministry-driven fields, but points out that the artists that help shape America's views are left out. She brings up a few good points, and I suggest you read that post at http://www.soundslikecon.com/archives/485.
Perhaps she knew what she was up against when she wrote that blog, but it was perfectly timed for when she would need to shell out SAG dues. She bemoaned her fate of trying to save enough money on facebook, and immediately friends clamored for some way to help her out. Upon their request and outpouring of support, she humbly set up a site to collect donations. I have already donated, partly because she makes good points in her recent blog post, partly because I remember starting a new career and feeling broke all the time, partly because I want to see her succeed so I can watch her movie and feel like I helped her make her dreams come true, and a lot because I am equal parts envious and proud that she had the guts to jump off the path her life was on to brave the career she felt born to do.
So, if you believe in what she's doing or want to just support a friend, I encourage you to donate even a tiny amount at https://www.wepay.com/donate/35489?ref=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=donation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment