I had a great Memorial Day weekend, of which I thought the highlight would be our 2 day trip to the Cape with some friends. While that was super fun and I consumed more than my fair share of toasted 'shmallows, I confess something better was indeed in store.
Monday was a glorious day and we happened to be outside the middle of the day. I was busy helping Anthony water the lawn when I heard that magical tune coming down our street, the one that brings back memories of careless and free summer days! An ice cream truck!! I burst into a huge grin and ran inside to put on shoes so I could go partake in this nostalgic treat. I yelped at Anthony to grab his wallet, and I tore into the garage to grab my razor scooter as the truck was a fair distance down the main road by now.
Racing into the street, I checked to make sure Anthony was behind me and off I went. I could hear the jingle less and less now, but happily Anthony had seen it turn down a side street and so instructed me. I continued blazing ahead, but could not seem to catch the tune. Every few minutes, I would think of giving up but why bother? I was getting sun and exercise, and the truck had to be nearby! And by this time, I had lost Anthony (following on foot) and figured I would only find him once we both tracked down the truck. A few times I had caught a glimpse of him turning off the street I was scooting on, and I was spurred on by the vision! About half an hour in, I was about to give up hope for real when I realized I could ask the many neighbors enjoying the outdoors. With a few helpful hints to direct my way, I finally found the truck stopped at a kid's house. Racing up in a sweat, I earned curious looks from the most recent customers but I had come too far to care! I looked frantically behind me for Anthony but to no avail! What to do now?! The truck driver had seen me race up and was now looking at me expectantly - I was not going to give up my ice cream after this much work! I figured the best way out was the truth, so I walked up and explained my husband should be right behind me with the money. I was just going to ask if he could play his tune and wait there, but he had a better idea! He told me to jump on in and we'd backtrack in the truck to where I had last seen Anthony.
Off we went, tune a-blaring, my cheeks hurting from my smile! Finally we caught him and I waved excitedly from my precious perch. Anthony could only laugh as I tumbled out of the truck, breathless and grinning with the thrill of my adventure. I had not even had a chance to notice what a great variety of treats the truck was storing to help beat the heat, but Anthony and I finally found our perfect pick. Anthony was nice enough to give the driver a few extra bucks for his troubles (and to buy his wife back, as the driver joked!) and off we set back to our home. In my frantic search, I had not realized how far from the house we had gotten, but that gave us plenty of time to nurse our ice cream on our trek back. I couldn't stop giggling as I recounted the thrill to Anthony, who has to be the most patient husband in the world. He had been running after me, not just walking, and he was not as excited about the end result as I was, but endured it for me. I adore him!
I know it sounds silly to chase an ice cream truck across town, especially at my age, but really, why? I got a tan, my thighs are still burning from the exercise, and I got to ride *in* an ice cream truck. Readers, it does not get any better than that.
Which brings me back to a more important lesson - freedom is not free, and while our soldiers are certainly laying down their lives for our rights and liberties, I remind you they are also protecting our pursuit of happiness. In my case, it was running down a street, fearlessly, for a taste of ice cream. Not once did I have to stop and worry if a bomb would land on my head, or if I would be nabbed of the street. And there are still trucks we can hitchhike in with no fear for our safety. And for that, I am reminded how blessed I am to live in America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What an awesome tale! As I've said often, I'm very proud of who you are and what you've done with your life. However, sometimes I am most proud of your ability to enjoy the simple things in life - and keep things in perspective.
ReplyDelete