Thursday, March 12, 2009

Come On Already!

I have noticed that I find it a lot harder to tolerate Massachusetts winters once I get bitten by the 'spring bug,' often brought on by a warm day or the changing of the calendar. I know March is not supposed to be warm and sunny, but I sure do wish it was more 40's and 50's and a whole lot less wind and precipitation. I know we don't really get spring here, so I'm in for a couple more months of bitter cold. But those occassional glorious days where I can bust out my flip-flops really just make it hard to be patient. So, here's a list of winter things that are starting to annoy me after such a nice weekend.

1) Sweaters - I only like them about the first month of winter, then I'm done. At this point, I want to make a bonfire and never see them again!
2) Snow - Seriously, it can stop now. I keep thinking each one will be our last...
3) Salt - I am so done cleaning our entryway every other day from the muddy grit that the combination of salt, dirt, and snow makes.
4) Scrapers - I never like cleaning off my car after a snow or ice storm, but I grow even more frustrated with the soccer moms in their SUVs that whine about not being able to reach the top and clear off those huge snow mounds that slam into my car going 70 on the highway.
5) Scarfs, etc. - I do have a great collection of outerwear that is fun to break out for a few months, but I'm getting really bored with all the bundling.
6) Sliding - I don't like driving in precipitation anyway, but our apartment complex is especially bad at clearing snow and ice from the mile-long driveway and I really hate sliding to a terrifying stop at the end of it.
7) Severely dry skin - I moisturize every day, but that biting wind really dries out my face and hands and I miss glowing, supple skin.
8) Scum - I really like a clean car, inside and out. During the winter, it is nigh impossible to keep it that way because of the constant layer of crap that gets thrown on your car from the road and the inescapeable grit that sticks to your shoes and gets tracked around until there is a little sandbox underneath the driver seat.
9) Skinny jeans - I only bought these so I could tuck them into my gorgeous boots that I love so much. I do love how they fit and how they show off my footwear, but I do kind of miss all my other jeans sometimes.
10) Spending money - Our apartment apparently has the worst insulation in the world, so even with a pretty conservative setting on our thermostat, our heat bill was still $300 last month!!!! Shocked, we have now cut back and try to keep it under 65 at all times. That means I'm wearing hats and mittens inside to save money, and I'm not a fan at all.

Come on sunshine! Let's kick this dreary trend and get on with our year!

1 comment:

  1. You could always consider moving out west and not having a winter at all! I do think I miss snow at times, but I know that I probably don't really miss it as much as I think I do.

    ReplyDelete