Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Watchmen

So, a gang of us got up early Saturday morning and went to check out the latest blockbuster in imax. I was excited about the release of this movie (to the surprise of my friends), just because it looked like it had the potential to be awesome. I knew it wouldn't be a feel-good movie, but I had started the graphic novel and was intrigued so far. My thoughts: I really liked Rorschach and The Comedian, but the others fell kinda flat for me. I thought Rorschach made a great bada** and I couldn't help comparing him to my other fave baddie, Jack Bauer. The Comedian was well delivered, and I've always liked looking at Morgan. I'm not sure if I was intrigued by Dr. Manhattan or not - let's just say that seeing this partick movie in imax doesn't really let you escape the fact that this big blue lug is naked. I believe my friend GC correctly described *it* as "a cedar tree." That's quite accurate. And the girl, let's not even talk about her. She didn't really come across as a strong, powerful woman comfortable with herself. I don't know if that's par for the course with this type of story, but I was unimpressed. The highlight: while poking around in a machine, she spots a red button with a picture of a flame and correctly identifies it as fire, but pushes it anyway. Niiiiice. :) Anyway, I think if I was into that kind of story line, I would have really liked the movie. As a casual observer, it kept me entertained for 2.5 hours and that's all I really went for. I think I probably will pick the novel back up and finish it to see how it all stacks up. All in all, I'm glad I went and can appreciate the story of these outlaws trying to right wrongs at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment