What is it about military friends that you can always just pick right back up where you left on? My only guess is the bond is just stronger – in cases where people are stationed away from their own families, their friends become there family in a very strong way. Holidays and milestones are celebrated with them, and the closeness is hard to replicate in any other situation. I have had a hard time making friends that are as close and as dear to me as those I met while growing up overseas, and I have heard the same story from many of my other friends there. But those military friends – I can’t explain how strongly I feel about them and how much their friendship means to me. There is one friend that I have not seen since middle school who still keeps in touch with me, and we still know what is going on in each others’ lives...I have friends from college that know less about me than she does (I think she even reads this blog, and I hers). I have another friend I just reconnected with after not seeing for 10 years, and I can’t tell you how much it means to me to be back in contact with him. I still tell him things I wouldn’t tell any of my friends here, and it’s just easy and comfortable to talk to him.
I miss those friendships and I wish it were as easy to establish such close bonds with local friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with your sentiments. I do also find it hard to establish close relationship. I think it may also be because having learned some life lessons, we might not trust and let go as we did so freely in high school. But I totally agree that when you reconnect with friends from overseas there is a bond in that experience keep friends for a lifetime.
ReplyDelete