This past weekend, Anthony's childhood friend Phil flew up from WV to stay the weekend and attend the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston. I sat that particular event out because, well, I loathe the taste of boy beer. (On the plus side, they always bring me home an authentic Belgium Waffle from a vendor there.) However, we spent the rest of the weekend hitting some of our favorite spots.
Friday night was of course dedicated to Sunset Grille and Tap in Allston; it is my guy's favorite place because of the plethora of beers they serve. Their food ain't bad either. In a sad turn of events, I chose to forgo their awesomely huge mud pie in favor of going to a crepe place down the street that I uncovered last time we were there. Most disappointingly, they have since closed their doors and the four other people I was with were too cold to satisfy their sweet tooth at another location. Oh well. We consoled ourselves back at our place with skittle vodka, and nutella straight from the jar.
After the boys returned and sobered up from the beer fest on Saturday, we spent two hours sitting on our couch trying to figure out where to go that night. When we were about to give up, someone brought up eat-in theaters and we recalled a friend mentioning a great one nearby. We went straight to the internet and uncovered Chunky's in Haverhill as our next destination. Fortunately, they were showing "Gran Torino" in less than an hour so off we went! It had a really fun feel to the place - the seats are old limo seats and they are clustered around several groups of tables. The food was average to awesome (mostly American fare, with great appetizers, beers, and desserts), but the ambiance is what sold me! Of course they also serve your basic candies, popcorn, and sodas for the more traditional movie-goer. Though it is somewhat hard to eat with the table to your side and the movie up in front, I would highly recommend visiting. We were thrilled to finally make it there and will absolutely be going back.
On a related note, Anthony and I had been excited about seeing "Gran Torino" ever since the previews made Clint Eastwood like almost as big a bada** as Jack Bauer. :) Anyway, the movie was in keeping with the preview and we highly enjoyed it. Though not for the politically-correct crowd (every other word was a racial slur we'd never even heard!), his awesomely low growl was the highlight for me and there were several laugh-out-loud moments! If you liked the preview, you will like the movie. I believe it was my first Clint movie, and I was impressed. I think I will make it my mission to see many more of his movies before I die.
All in all, a great weekend! Never long enough or with enough sleeping, but great all the same. :)
P.S. My spellcheck does not know the word 'nutella.' That makes me ridiculously sad.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment